Monday, May 11, 2015

The Great Starbucks Experiment!

So there have been questions about my project because all I've been reporting is my interaction with friends. Well, I'm going to talk about my week of stranger interactions.

Day 1: I started this experiment during my morning Starbucks run. Normally, I would walk into the shop, lower my head, and order my coffee quietly, all while avoiding eye contact with anyone and everyone; however, that day was different. I opened the door and kept my head up as much as possible, allowing myself a nervous glance or two. I walk over to the counter and plastered on a moderately genuine smile, preparing myself for the next step.

"Hi there, how's your morning so far?" 😁

She looked taken aback but soon smiled back.

"So far so good. Thanks for asking."

This was the start of a beautiful conversation. Eventually, she had to ask me what I wanted to drink and I decided to be bold and ask her to make a drink based off of the impression I give off. I watched her work for three minutes and was presented with a "café mocha with a shot of vanilla syrup". I was skipping around school the rest of the day. 

Day 2: I once again talked to the barista, but this time, I ordered one of my usuals, a green tea lemonade. I talked to some of the other customers, listened to a couple of "back in my day" stories, and then I headed off to anatomy class. Oddly enough, I was more talkative to my table mates and willing to interact with people. 

Day 3: went off campus with Tabby and ran into some classmates I haven't seen in a while. Due to the lack of interaction between each other, the ill intentions seem to have faltered and we have a pleasant conversation. What happened?

Day 4: A classmate in anatomy noticed I was a lot friendlier and motivated compared to before. I first thought it was the coffee, but I only had coffee once this week. There had to be a reason behind my change of mood. 

Day 5: due to the early schedule of a Friday, I was unable to go on my Starbucks run and my morning just crashed down on me. I felt kind of lonely and invisible all day. Granted, I was avoiding my friends since I was in such a terrible mood, but at the same time, when they saw me, they just backed away because I seemed grumpy. 

On the other hand, I still had to go to Good Samaritan for volunteer work. Surprisingly enough, I felt a lot lighter and relaxed as the day went on, discharging patients, admitting patients, and praying in the surgery waiting room with a Christian family. 

HYPOTHESIS: Although caffine in a great pick me up, it is the social interactions that provide me with that "high on life" feeling. It could possibly be the adrenaline rush from doing something off character, but my body would have already adjusted to it after a couple of minutes and it would have died by now. 

My dear introverts, I have cracked the code to being social!

Questions that came up: 

-Why is it that you're friendlier to strangers compared to your friends?

-Since we have found the key to extroversion, how can we integrate an extrovert into the introverted community?

No comments:

Post a Comment